© Burry Port RNLI 2015
The RNLI is the charity that saves lives at sea
Designed and created by Nick
Operational since 1973
The Llanelly station was re-
Lifeboat Journal August gives full description of Pembrey.
Pembrey closed owing to constant increase of sand in the locality.
The Institution formed a new lifeboat establishment at Burry Port, near Llanelly, and placed there a large lifeboat, 37 feet long, 8 feet wide and rowing 12 oars. This station became a necessity on the closure of the station at Pembrey due to the constant increase of sand there. The cost of the station has been defrayed from a legacy bequeathed by the late Mrs J S Barclay of Edmonton and, in accordance with her wishes, the boat was named David Barclay of Tottenham after her late husband. Lifeboat house cost £250 to construct, less allowance of £50 for old Pembrey lifeboat house.
Terms agreed with local tug owners for use of their tugs, £15 each time tug towed out lifeboat on service and £5 on exercise.
Station closed as the estuary was amply guarded by the neighbouring lifeboat station.
Extensive work to the boathouse was carried out in order to provide improved crew facilities.
New D class lifeboat D472 was placed on service on 18 October.
Following the visit on 5 September 2001 by the Coast Review delegation, led by Commodore R C Hastie, it was agreed by the Search and Rescue Committee on 6 February 2002 and resolved by the Executive Committee at their meeting on 10 April 2002 that there be no change to the lifeboat cover provided at Burry Port Lifeboat Station. It was also resolved that the potential use of a hovercraft in this area be further investigated along with the longer term requirement for a B class Altantic/FIBI inshore lifeboat.
The new station D class lifeboat D611 The Young Watsons was placed on service on 17 September 2003. This lifeboat was funded by Mr and Mrs WK Bache. Lifeboat D472 Kip and Kath has been withdrawn to the relief fleet
The new station D class lifeboat D749 Diane Hilary was placed on service in December 2011. This lifeboat was provided by generous support of Mr David Cole. Lifeboat D611 The Young Watsons has been withdrawn to the relief fleet
Following the visit on Wednesday 25 January 2012 by the Coast Review delegation, led by Rear Admiral John Tolhurst, it was agreed by the Operations Committee on 21 March 2012 and resolved by the Trustee Board at their meeting on 4 April 2012 that there be no change to the lifeboat cover provided by Burry Port Lifeboat Station and that the requirement for a B Class ILB is resolved on completion of the current trial in 2013.
RNLI Lifeboats have been guarding the dangerous Burry Estuary, which includes Carmarthen Bay eastward to Loughor together with the north coastline of the Gower Peninsula since 1852. The first Lifeboat was at Llanelly. It was provided by the Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners Benevolent Society. The boat was 26 feet long by 6 feet 4ins. pulled by 8 oars double banked. In 1854 the SFMBS handed over the boat to the newly named RNLI. The crews of this Lifeboat did sterling work over the next nine years including rescues at the extraordinary Broughton Bay disaster in 1868. A subsequent lifeboat was made of iron. This boat served from 1869 to 1871,
The Burry Estuary is one of the windiest areas in Britain and the majority of ship wrecks during the 19th Century occurred within its western approaches. The Llanelly Lifeboat was too far eastward to be effective. It was decided to build a new lifeboat house at Pembrey. From November 1863 the Pembrey boat was stationed close to the old Pembrey harbour. Subsequent storms put the boathouse in jeopardy. It was then decided to build a second boathouse in a plantation nearer to the village of Pembrey. This boathouse was furnished with a new lifeboat named 'Stanton Meyrick ofPimlico3. She was 32 feet long and had ten oars plus a coxswain. This boat was in service from 1871 to October 1886. Over this period it was found that windblown sand constantly blocked the main doors and this boathouse was abandoned in October 1886.
A new lifeboat house was built in 1887 and stands to this day on the eastern side of Burry Port Harbour. Between the years 1887 and 1914 three successive lifeboats all named the 'David Barclay of Tottenham' were in service at Burry Port. These lifeboats were launched on a wheeled carriage running on rails across the quay and down a stone slipway into the harbour waters. During this period of 27 years no less than 34 lives were saved from drowning.
The constant need for a lifeboat at Burry Port diminished and on 2nd April 1914 the Station was closed down and the Lifeboat sold locally in the following month. The coastal area was now covered by the Ferryside Lifeboat. On June 30th 1960 the Ferryside station was closed down and the Tenby and Mumbles stations could cover any likely contingencies at that time.
However during the next 13 years boating activity in Carmarthen Bay increased dramatically and instances of drowning reached an alarming level. Something
had to be done to protect lives at sea.
A small group of eminent local mariners, including our first President and Lord Lieutenant, Sir David Mansel Lewis, decided to request the RNLI headquarters
at Poole to re-
all its necessary equipment. The RNLI acknowledged the dire need to establish a new lifeboat on an urgent basis. The old 1887 Lifeboat House was
Mr Herwood Phillips of Harbour View was then appointed the new Station's Honorary Secretary. He was tasked with the establishment of a
with local fund-
source of income to the RNLI with each Branch having its own working committee. To date the fundraisers at Burry Port have raised well over £100,000.
Over the past 40 years a keen cavalcade of dedicated young men and women have served and given their total commitment to the Lifeboat Institution.
Many have completed 20 years and more as volunteers and this has been duly acknowledged by many long service awards.
Following a Coastal review in 2009, the need for a second larger, more powerful craft was identified, and on 30th July 2010 a second type of lifeboat,
an Atlantic 75 was added to supplement the D Class.
Since the reopening of the station in September 1973 to date, the Burry Port Lifeboats have launched on more than 665 service calls, undoubtedly
saving many lives and landing or assisting hundreds of casualties.
As a charity the Royal National Lifeboat Institution relies entirely on the support of the general public to train and equip its volunteer crews
throughout the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.
(Funded by legacy)
(Funded by legacy)
‘Leicester Challenge II’